Thursday, October 1, 2009

Grizzly Bears


This bear stamp by Art Impressions really caught my eye when I was browsing at Ben Franklin 2 in Lincoln NE. The pine boughs are by PSX (Personal Stamp Exchange, a company that is no longer in business).

With the card on the the left, I stamped the pine bough with Distressed Inks by Ranger. (I used a 4.25 x 5.5 piece of white cards stock which was attached to the card base after the design was completed) The next step was to sponge various shades of green Distressed Inks around the outside, making it darker towards the edge. The final sponging was just a touch of black ink on the very edge. Note that the entire surface is colored with sponged inks.

The grizzly was stamped with VersaMark and embossed with fineline black embossing powder. I then tore out the image and sponged with several shades of brown Distressed Ink finishing up with the very edge sponged with black ink. This gives a burned vintage appearance.

Now for the fun part. I placed the torn grizzly image over the pine boughs to determine exactly where I wanted to make my cuts. A straight edge blade was used to carve out the pine boughs and the grizzly image was then inserted under the cuts. The pine boughs are now cradling the grizzly image. I did put a dab of glue under the grizzly in several places, so it wouldn't fall off the card. The final step was to glue the entire piece to a card base.


Same bear, pine bough, inks, and embossing powder, just a little different order to the steps. The bear was stamped and embossed first. Then the two shades of green pine boughs and the final step was the sponging of brown inks around the outer edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment