Sunday, January 5, 2014

Treasury of David

I have been reading Charles Spurgeon's Treasury of David.  Now you have to understand that I have been chewing on Psalm 1 for several weeks.  It is just so profound and deep that I have to share some of Rev Spurgeon's observations.

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, not standeth in the way of sinners, not sitteth in the seat of the scornful.  Psalms 1:1
 
The original word for blessed is plural, meaning multiple blessings on the one God has justified.
 
The one who does not walk in the counsel of the ungodly.  The Godly's counsel is the Lord.  We are to walk in His commandments.  These ways are the ways of peace and contentedness.  Our walk or steps are ordered by the Word of God.  This is an outward sign of an inward grace.

he standeth not in the way of sinners.  We have a choice of who we spend time (and thus are influenced) with.

nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.  We are to find no rest with the athesists and their scoffings.

Note the graduations, if you walk with evil, soon you are standing with it and then finally sitting down with it.  To me this means we get comfortable with sin and evil doers if we even walk with them.

Personally I want God to help me recognize clearly the evil, no matter how prettily it is presented, then I want Him to make me very very very uncomfortable around it.  I want to flee evil.


No comments:

Post a Comment