Monday, March 29, 2010

From the Psalms

I waited patiently for the Lord,
And He inclined to me and heard my cry.
Psalm 40:1

During these troubled and worrisome times the Lord has provided comfort. My commentary on Psalms says that the phrase "waited patiently" actually means, waiting, I waited. For me that means double patience. Being still in the midst of trouble. Waiting also implies to me a quietness to the waiting.

It says that God paid attention, that God heard David's cry.

Now if anyone would know about patience and waiting for the Lord's timing it should be David. I have read the from the time David was anointed King of Israel until he actually assumed the throne was 15 years. That's right, 15 years of waiting on the Lord. 15 years of running and hiding in the desert and in foreign cities or countries from the mad King Saul.

During those 15 years David had opportunity to kill Saul with no danger to himself. Yet he knew that Saul was also God's anointed and that it was vital to his future to wait on God's perfect will. It was in those 15 years that David became a mighty man of God. A man fit to be one of the most memorable kings that ever ruled Israel. A man who has become an example to all Christians and Jews. In spite of his many mistakes (sins) he returned to God over and over, contrite and repentant and God forgave him.

I see in the Bible the mistakes and triumphs of David. He was a man. He messed up, often in spectacular fashion, BUT God forgave him, just as he forgives us.

So my waiting has purpose. It is to grow me for God's service. To change me into a more Christ like person. I fear it is going to be a long difficult task for the Lord, but He is known for his miracles.

No comments:

Post a Comment